Bow bobcats with legend Jack Frost

guess

Jack frost bobcat
Last year I was invited to call hogs for 6 of the top archers in the world and film TV shows. It was a very successful trip and I met some great people. One of those people was a man named Jack Frost-the first man to complete a North American Grand Slam with a bow, and all entries made the record books. He held the world record brown bear with a bow for 18 years as well as many other accomplishments. We talked extensively for 4 days, well mostly I talked. I found out his bucket list animal for the last 60 years was to get a bobcat with a bow. He had tried many times and things just never worked out. So I told him if he ever made it down my way from Alaska to come see me. Well, he made it to town this weekend for some visiting and hunting.
Our first day out was extraordinary for this area. We dropped Michelle off to hunt and went calling. On the very first stand of the evening {daytime}, we called in 5 singles and 1 double on coyotes. We then made 1 dry stand and called in a hog on the last. When we picked up Michelle she said she had been trying to call us, she had watched a bobcat leave a bedding area and head up a fence row. I had an idea he was headed to a grain bin to hunt for the evening, so we went there and got the Bullet Call {Covergent Solutions} set up to call and used my rodent sound. In 3-4 minutes, he came in and sat down at 59 yards! We waited and watched him until he turned and left. Having no shot, our day ended.
Day two- It was windy and we only called a single coyote during the day, and saw a really nice cat stalking a rabbit on a county road where we couldn’t shoot, obviously. Dang cat! We night hunted and only saw hogs at first. Then on the last stand of the night/morning, we had a cat come from our far left to my rat sound and Convergents tiny cottontail. He hung up at 45 yards and being a bit gun shy from having one just turn and walk away the night before, we decided to take the shot. The arrow hit a bit low, he ran and circled stopping at 50 yards to our right. We kept a light on him while walking towards him, to attempt a second shot. The arrow was deflected by a stick!
Day 3- Early morning after 3 hours sleep, we called in a single coyote on the first stand and 4 coyotes with a brand-new piglet sound on the 3rd stand. By now rain started blowing in and we didn’t call anything else in all day. Finally, on the last stand of daylight, we called a bobcat over 150 yards that hung up in a brush line. After 20 more minutes of calling and fading light, I decided to try something crazy. I used a flashlight to shine at the cat and we walked towards him in the day light like we do at night. He never moved! We got to 30 yards and shot, again the arrow hit a stick and deflected!
Afterwards, we gathered at my house for some pork roast and to visit a bit before going back out. Once in our new spot, on the very first stand we called in a small cat in less than a minute with my rat sound. As quickly as it came in, it left! Minutes later a big tom appeared 60 yards from us and sat down. We slowly eased his way with the light on him the entire time, and at 30 yards he got nervous. Jack took the shot, the cat shot straight in the air about 4 feet and vanished. We found great blood and a piece of lung, then looked for 3 more hours and only found one speck of blood, out about 75 yards in thick nasty stuff. Then finally, at 72 years of age, Jack found his 60 year quest laying there long expired!
It was an honor for me to be able to hunt with Jack, hear of his adventures and spend time with such an interesting and pleasant person. This hunt will go down as one of my all-time favorites.
26220136_1763834343649771_3049083369116318812_n.jpg

26195523_1763834590316413_2121962079139553940_n.jpg

1689.gif

This post is nominated for Hunter of the Month. Sorry, the nifty little .gif isn't rotating, so all you see is "Nominated" for now.

Hope you're talking about the cat and Jack, cuz I'm just a fat hog in a small wallow.

Thanks for the great comments guys. Wish I had more time for forums, kinda miss'em.

Your write up and pictures make me wish I could have been there. As usual your story took me with you.Thanks

Back